“We don’t have a toaster, only in Cape Town”

shapeimage_3-1The day started 0600 with a bush walk around the actual camp (still big five classified), and our guide Laurie was armed with an old school hunting rifle, .357 caliber. The walk was only an hour and the focus was the small things such as ant lion (which we were able to find), tracks, different trees and bushes. It was a nice walk although we would perhaps preferred something in the range of 4 hours and getting up close and personal with some of the big five.

shapeimage_2-3We had our final breakfast at Marc’s accompanied by a bunch of monkeys eager to steal anything edible within reach. We then spent some half an hour waiting for some ‘tards who were late from the neighboring camp before we headed off towards Jo’burg again.

We didn’t go the exact same route as when arriving, but instead passed Blyde River Canyon, apparently the 3rd largest Canyon in the world. It was quite impressive sights, and the weather wasn’t bad at all, ~26° C, especially compared to what we would have experienced in Göteborg. A long drive with several naps later we arrived at Jo’burg airport.

While checking in we encountered a rare sight, a highly effective south african worker, a species that many thought were complete lost but apparently it is only an endangered species after all. With little more than 2 hours to kill it was time to blog and start the art of going from 500 photos to 50. The airport was also blessed with a Subway restaurant to our pleasant surprise and we decided that it would most likely be better than any dishes served on the flight.

As I gave the too-many-times-repeated string of words dictating my order in the correct way I was interrupted by “We don’t have veggy patty”. Oh, well ok then – I’ll have the …. seafood platter (?). “We don’t have any sea food left”. I saw that my old favorite Italian BMT at least had made it to the menu so I went for the old classic. I was a bit surprised when I turned back to see that the lovely lady had skipped the cheese but instead smacked on the salad before toasting the sub. This is akin to heresy, and I kindly pointed out that I would like it toasted. This was not possible, since they didn’t had a toaster, only in Cape town they had that. I kind understand that they have local variations on the menu such as halal meat, fewer vegetarian alternatives and such but removing the possibility to toast your sub is on yhe same level as opening up a Burger King franchise and rather than grill your burgers offer to microwave them. Which is exactly what they did to heat up the meat. Well well, it was cheaper than in Sweden but microwaved meat with cheese underneath and hell-of-a-strong southwest sauce wasn’t top notch on my (perhaps quite strict) scale for Subway subs.

The flight went well, and arriving in Port Elizabeth we found a pay-phone and called Lungile Backpackers who would sent a cab for us. I realized while waiting for the cab that my phone was not in my pocked and as I started moving in a blur towards my beloved gadget I cursed my sleepy head for leaving it at the pay-phones. I was very pleased to see it elegantly tipped looking at me as I got back there. We got to Lungile without more hassle than a rather amusingly malfunctioning gate and dropped dead knowing that tomorrow we could sleep as long as we wanted. Vacation.